News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Hemangioma or something else?

superman911 - Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:20 pm

During a catscan after a car wreck, about 4 "tumors" were found on my wife's liver. The doctor believes them to be hemangiomas but it is not 100% verified through the catscan and ultrasound. The ultrasound report stated that it is rare to have multiple hemangiomas and also stated that one of the tumors may be a hepatic adenoma. Her liver functions were normal during the time of the catscan. He also told us that the hemangiomas were nothing to really worry about. He will be sending us to another doctor and an MRI to try to get final verification. Is it possible that these are something else such as cancer or should we feel comfortable with what he is saying? I will also say that the techs had a very difficult time seeing them on the ultrasound.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 am

User avatar Hello,
Nobody can be 100% sure this is hemangioma. When diagnostic tests are done it is for the purpose of helping to decipher a complex puzzle. The information, along with history and physical exam helps the doctor to find out what it is. A second opinion and/or additional tests can help confirm or dispel suspicions. I'm sure that is why the doctor is sending your wife for further evaluation. I hope you have received a good report by now.

Best wishes to you both.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here