Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Hemangioma or something else?

superman911 - Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:20 pm

During a catscan after a car wreck, about 4 "tumors" were found on my wife's liver. The doctor believes them to be hemangiomas but it is not 100% verified through the catscan and ultrasound. The ultrasound report stated that it is rare to have multiple hemangiomas and also stated that one of the tumors may be a hepatic adenoma. Her liver functions were normal during the time of the catscan. He also told us that the hemangiomas were nothing to really worry about. He will be sending us to another doctor and an MRI to try to get final verification. Is it possible that these are something else such as cancer or should we feel comfortable with what he is saying? I will also say that the techs had a very difficult time seeing them on the ultrasound.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 am

Nobody can be 100% sure this is hemangioma. When diagnostic tests are done it is for the purpose of helping to decipher a complex puzzle. The information, along with history and physical exam helps the doctor to find out what it is. A second opinion and/or additional tests can help confirm or dispel suspicions. I'm sure that is why the doctor is sending your wife for further evaluation. I hope you have received a good report by now.

Best wishes to you both.

|