News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Abdomen pain with diarrhea

bbh - Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:26 am

Dear Doctor,

Since a week ago I am suffering from pain fit in the abdomen with the diarrhea of 3 - 4 times daily, with issuing gases sounds inside the abdomen.

Please help as soon as possible.

Thanks & Regards,
A.M.A
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:50 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are many causes of abdominal pain. In combination with diarrhea I must wonder about an infection or parasite. If the diarrhea is continuing, you should have a stool specimen tested for the presence of organisms.

It is possible you have a viral infection that will resolve on its own. But, chronic diarrhea can lead to dehydration so you don't want to ignore it if it goes on. Of course if you have fever, vomiting or other symptoms you should see a doctor. One always worries about appendicitis.

Some people suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea, intestinal pain and gas are common symptoms with this. Some people also develop lactose intolerance or sensitivity to artificial sweeteners. It can also be a symptom of a disorder such as crohn's disease.

If you find you have signs of dehydration including dry mouth, dark, concentrated urine, weakness, dizziness or lightheadedness, you should get medical attention.
I'm sorry I am unable to provide more specific help but as you can see, these symptoms could be suggestive of a number of problems. It could even be just something unknown that is transient in nature.

Good luck with it.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here