Question: J-Pouch Problems

Hollyn - Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:35 pm

I got ulcerative colitis when I was 13, it flared up so badly a few short months after the initial diagnosis that it was surgery or I would die. Anyway, i had a total colectomy, and the jpouch done in three surgeries over a year.

I'm 21 now and I see gastroenterologists and Colorectal surgeons fairly often because I get chronic Cuffitis and occasionally bad bouts of Pouchitis. I've been on Infiximab which really helped with the cuffitis.

My problem right now is that I'm having searing pains up and down the right side of my abdomin. I don't know what it is. It's sooo painful I would put it at a 6 on the pain scale, although I've had pain like this before and when it gets left for a few days it can easily go up to a 9, but those are the times I usually end up in the ER. I really don't want to go to the ER because I don't want to get admitted, is there anything I can do to help this pain, or find out what it is? It hurts sitting still, but it escalates when I move. It's the very worst when I have to empty the pouch. Having said that, it hasnt increased my frequency yet. It's just this stabbing searing pain. It doesnt feel shooting, just constant, and all over the right side.

Any help or advice?

I'm 21, by the way, 5'3 and 105 lbs. I don't know if any of that is relevant. I'm a girl also.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:02 pm

User avatar Hello Hollyn,

Unfortunately, pouchitis is a known complication of J-pouches that are formed following colectomies. Occasionally, the cases can be so persistent and so painful that the best option is to consider going back to a colostomy and removal of the J-pouch.

With your pain I am concerned that you may be having a significant flare in your intestinal inflammation. I understand your concerns about going to the doctor but I would recommend you be evaluated. The sooner these flares are caught the easier and sooner they can be treated and get better.

Continued follow up with your GI specialist and colorectal surgeon is important to help determine what the best treatments for you are going to be.

|