Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Pain in Liver area while doing strenuous activity

becky_o_neal - Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:35 pm

I am currently being treated for biliary cirrhosis. I was put in the hospital twice with in 6 months with abdominal pain and after a ton of test the liver specialist decided to treat me for biliary cirrhosis and put me on Ursodiol and its almost been a year and I have not had an attack like that again. I still have mild episodes of pain, but nothing compared to the full blown attacks. I am a runner. I run about 2.25 miles 3 times a week. With in the last couple weeks I have been getting sharp terrible pains in my right side under my ribs. If I was an out of shape person I would just ignore them and think it was b/c I was out of shape, but it just started happening and nothing really has changed in my workout. Now I havent been able to do but like 10 mins of running and it hits me and normally knocks me down into a walking mode on the treadmill and does not let up until I am off and then I have tender pain there for the rest of the day. Just wondering if anything could be going on with my liver like some kind of flare up or inflamation of some kind. I do see my liver specialist in 2 wks but if it is something serious I will stop running until then. Any advice or info would be appreciated.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:30 am

User avatar Hi becky_o_neal -

While it seems unlikely your upper right quadrant pain is due to an exacerbation of your liver problem, due to your history I think it would be wise to moderate your exercise schedule for the brief period prior to seeing the specialist. Of course, by now this will be moot, but this is the best I can do with the question being so old now.

Hopefully you found out what was causing the problem and were able to resume your admirable running program. If you check in here, please do follow up with us.
 cshacket - Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Becky,
Did you ever find out what the pain was while running. I have been having this same problem for 5 months and cannot run. I just do not beleive it is muskuloskeletal as I have rested it sooo much.

Please help,
Chris

|