Question: very tired rectal bleeding

schmakers - Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:20 am

Hi I am 34 years old with a past history of IBS, fissure and surgery in 1994. I have had problems with constipation, where I wouldn't go to the bathroom for weeks. I have changed my diet and eat fiber con yougurt at least twice a day and stay away from dairy, hot dogs ets. because it makes me very ill. For the past 3 weeks I have been very very tired, I feel like I drank wine and it went all to my head,(best way I know how to explain it) It makes me feel very strange and sometimes its like the room is spinning, I have pain off and on in my left side. I had severe diahreaha for the first 3 days going like 20 times, with blood clots in the toilet, so I figured I ate something that didn't agree with me or I got the flu. After that I would go maybe 2-3 times and would just have bright red blood on toilet paper, this bright red blood only when I have a bowel movement but its everyday. It only hurts when I goto the bathroom and it feels like someone is scratching my insides. It is going on 3 weeks now, and I just feel very weak and strange, but when I lay down I just feel worse. I barely can eat, I have no appetite at all, but I force myself to eat oatmeal and fiber con yougurt 2 times a day, and I mean I force myself!! Because I can go without eating, because like I said I can't even stand to look at food. No I am not pregnant, it is impossible for me to have children. I hate all the tests when you have bowel troubles, so I wanted to ask on here first, because going to see a specialist again is my last resort, I just want to know if I should be that concerned or will this work out on its own. If Not I will go to the doctor. Oh and I have No itching of the anus at all, my stomach is distended, and it shouldn't be because I am going to the bathroom and I barely eat anything. I have lost about 10 pounds. I am not overweight nor am I skinny, I am average for my height. I like the thought of losing 10 pounds but not this way!! Any advice I would appreciate!!!! Thank you for your time..
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:46 pm

User avatar Hello Schmakers,

I think it is time for you to see your doctor. If you have been bleeding from your GI tract you may have developed a significant anemia causing your weakness. This may be a presentation of an inflammatory bowel disease (such as Crohn's disease or Ulcerative Colitis). These can be very severe so seeing your doctor soon is very important.

schmakers - Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:40 am

Thank you for your quick reply, I appreciate it very much. I will call my doctor monday, and take it from there. I feel much worse today then ever, I didn't want to get out of bed, I feel so weak, its hard for me to even type this. I will give an update when I find out. Thanks Again!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:00 pm

User avatar It sounds like you are having some pretty severe symptoms. I would recommend you consider going to the urgent care or emergency room today to be evaluated sooner, if possible.

schmakers - Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:17 am

I called the doctor today, and I have an appointment first thing Wednesday, I need a referral to see a Gastro specialist. The Emergency rooms in my area are bad, I could be dieing on the floor and I still would have to wait 4 -5 hours to be seen. (NOT JOKING) I do appreciate all your feedback, I am getting scared and now started with spasms, I guess that's what it is, but yesterday I had to sit on my side for about 2 hours it was that bad. I was very close in telling my husband to take me to the hospital. I am feeling better today then yesterday, but know there is something really wrong.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:41 pm

User avatar Hi again,

I am very concerned about your symptoms. This could potentially be a severe flare of an inflammatory bowel disease. I must again recommend you see a doctor as soon as possible. If this means needing to wait for several hours, unfortunately, I would advise that you do this. I am concerned that you may get worse before your scheduled appointment and delaying evaluation delays treatment that can help prevent complications and make you feel better soon.

I understand your concerns and ultimately you can decide if you are comfortable waiting until your appointment.

Please keep us updated if you can (but of course this is far from as important as your getting better).

|