Question: Extreme Hunger or Bloated/Fatigue

figgy - Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:18 pm

For the past few days i've had this constant feeling of extreme hunger, which subsides a bit after i eat but is replaced by extreme feeling of bloatedness and fatigue as if im about to vomit. Those are my only symptoms.
This has been ongoing for a few days non-stop. ie: i either feel extreme hunger or very bloated. I'm never normal.
The only thing that has changed in my life style is that im working night shifts which are a bit stressful and im having difficuty sleeping during the day, so only getting about 3 hours sleep a day. (this has been ongoing for the past 6 days which is just before i started feeling like this) other than that my eating pattern is different as i don't eat the same meals at night at work as i would during the day at home.
Thats all i can think of.
Im on no type of medication or anything other than a multivitamin & mineral tablet which i always take.
I would be most grateful if someone could explain why i feel like this and what i can do to help myself. Have tried Antiacids but they don't seem to make any difference.

Thanks in advance
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:42 pm

Recently having switched to night shift would probably be reason enough to be undergoing some unpleasant internal symptoms such as you describe (night shift has now been identified as a risk factor for a number of diseases and disorders not to mention some people simply aren't able to adjust), but the dietary changes you've had to make are also probably contributing to this problem. Sleep deprivation will play its part as well.

If antacids don't seem to help I'm not surprised, since this is probably not so much a matter of excess acid as it is the body's surprised response to a dramatic change in schedule. Hopefully you will be able to adapt better with the passage of time and the hunger and bloating will subside, but right now your body is simply wanting things the way it was used to them being. I realize this sounds overly simplistic but it is by far the most likely explanation, and is classic for people newly changed over to the opposite shift from what they'd been working. It's tough, but the majority of people are able to eventually adapt, at least to an adequate extent.

Best of luck to you with this.

|