Question: Lower Back Pain & Lower Right Abdominal Pain

Callie01 - Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:29 am

Well since late August I have been having some lower back pain. I first started noticing it after I did some exercises. Eventually it got to the point where I could not move, or even get up from sitting on the toilent. I went to my doctor and then to a physiotherapist in which I was referred to by the doctor. The physiotherapist started treating it as a disk injury. By december I was having severe spasms in my lower back, which also included weakness in both legs. Several times I had to go to the hospital. They injected me with toradol, which helped to loosen the muscles. I received numerous x-rays and ultrasounds from late december to early january. They all were negative- Ultrasound was done on my pelvic area. I am normally not affected by pain, however this lower back pain became so severe that I could not bare to sit at school anymore. I had an MRI in february, which, the doctor said, came back negative. I do however know that there was slight bulging and disk degeneration in my lower back. My physiotherapist at this time, said that it could be my S1 because when he put a pillow between my legs and told me to squeeze my legs together, I got exruciating pain in my pubic area. The doctor, however, said it was probably a very bad sprain, since all the tests were negative.
However, since january, I have been having great pains in my hips and around my abdomine. I find that my legs are sometimes weak early in the morning, and the pain is much worse at night. I was admitted to the hospital roughly 3 days ago, due to this pain, and chest pain. THe chest pain was mild, whereas I was having a lot og pain on my lower right abdomine. They admitted me, and did more tests, an ultrasound and an x-ray. The tests were negative. They also had a urine test and several blood tests-all of which came back negative. They said that the tests showed no inflammation of the appendix. With these tests being negative, one doctor questioned my mental health; they referred me to a psychiatrist. I would like to point out I am a 18 year old female and have not had any prior health issues.I am very athletic and receive high marks. They have done more tests on me since, and many of the people there have said that I should be referred to a neurologist and not a psychiatrist. I was released from the hospital a day or so ago. What I was wondering was if there are nerves around my abdomine which would possibly be causing all this pain and if a sprain would cause severe abdmonial pain because the doctors do not seem to have a clue as to what the problem is. If I could receive some feedback on this, it would be most appreciated.

Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:12 pm

User avatar Hi Callie01,
Did you happen to have a transvaginal ultrasoud? On occasions, ovarian cysts can develop and upon rupture cause significant abdominal pain. Have you been evaluated by a gynecologist to rule out any disorders? I would encourage you to have an evaluation by this specialist if you have not already done so. Best wishes.
 JanisGoehner - Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:18 pm

I am new to this and not quite sure how to ask a question.

I am 40 yrs old (just!!!) and for the last few months I have been experiencing a dull pain in my lower right back, not muscular, feels deep within. It's a dull pain that comes and goes, never sharp, but comes a few times a day, whether I'm exercising or just sitting.

What organ(s) are in the lower back? What could this be? I have a doctor appointment scheduled for Oct. 9th . . .

Any information is greatly appreciated!

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs :)

Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:24 am

User avatar Hi JanisGoehner,
Lower back pain can be caused from muscular strains, vertebral disorders, kidney stones,among specific organ related anomolies just to name a few. The organs located in the area in question that can attribute to discomfort or pain are for example, the kidneys, bladder, uterus, ovaries, etc. I hope you appointment goes well and the causative factor related to your symptoms are identified. Best wishes.

|