Question: continuation

frustrated - Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:55 am

The blood in my stools is still present but now there is black in my stool i started to take hemerhoid medication could that cause the black ...
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:29 pm

User avatar Black in the stool is usually blood. Taking iron preparations can also give the appearance of black tarry stools. When there is bleeding higher up in the intestine or coming from the stomach the blood will show up as black not red. Bleeding from the rectal area is usually from hemorrhoids and is red in color. The medicine for hemorhoids should not show up as black. You need to see the doctor since bleeding from the bowel can be a sign of cancer or may be due to an ulcer among other things. A full diagnostic exam is necessary to determine the cause of the bleeding and therefore the treatment.
Thanks for using The Doctor's Lounge
Carolyn