Question: Chronic Diahrrea, loss of satiety, muscle loss and weakness

prepare555 - Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Hello, I am 19 years old. I believe I am obsessive-compulsive. I have been having chronic diahrreah every morning for the last month. Here are more of my symptoms, which I think are caused by the constant diarreah. I get bloated after eating, I have massive gas(constant burping and farting), extremely dry and occasionally bluish skin on my hands(worse on the right hand), freezing cold hands and feet, muscle weakness (legs and arms), weight loss previously(now stable at 130, but only after diaharrea), extreme fatigue at night, repeated urination, etc..
I have been recently eating a lot more calories than usual, but I can't seem to feel fully satieted anymore. Yet, after diarreah no matter what foods I eliminate from my diet, I don't gain any weight. I can tell that I have lost muscle mass as well as fat throughout my body. My butt cheeks are really thin and they don't really stay closed anymore, I have to clench my buttocks for the cheeks to close. Could that cause the gass escape and diahreea, or did the weight los from the diareah cause that? I also have massive bruises from the spots where my back(directly above the butt crack) hits the floor when I do crunches. I am not bullimic or anerexic, I want to gain a little weight as well as muscle. I need some help!
Here is what I normally eat and my exercise routine every day:
Morning: Exercise:
1500 abdominal crunches
free-weights: about an hour(with rests and distractions)
treadmill: speed: 5 mph for 45 minutes= 425 calories burned
Food: Breakfast
-oatmeal w/ a half a cup of coffee poured in, than I drink the rest of the mug (1.5 cups) 180 calories
Snack
- Power Bar - high proteien(23g) 300 calories
Lunch
- varies: usually around 600 calories: sandwich w/ lunch meat & pretzels
Snack
- 300 calories
Dinner
- varies( a lot of pasta dishes) around 1000 calories
Dessert: usually some kind of ice cream treat: 200- 300 calories
Beverages: water in morning, tea in afternoon, and usually water at night, though today I tried some gatoratde and iced tea today.

I usually end up eating around 2500 to 3000 calories, and yet I cant seem to feel full or gain any weight. I already read about eliminating certain foods, tried everything. Nothing is working. I did not poop today, I usuallly do it in a scheduled way, but I didn't feel any pressure to go. My stomach sort of growled and I passed a lot of gas all day long. Why is this happening?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:55 am

You need to be evaluated by a doctor to find out if there are any underlying physical disorders causing your symptoms. There are many diseases that can have gastrointestinal effects and it would be impossible to guess what is causing yours. Thyroid should definitely be checked since that is a gland that affects almost every part of the body (it is called the "master gland").

Could you reduce your exercise a bit to see if it makes a difference? Since weight loss and gain is directly affected by the caloric intake balanced by the energy output, you should be able to see a difference by reducing the output; not just focusing on the food you take in.

You mention your concern about obsessive-compulsive tendencies. This is certainly possible and you should discuss this with a qualified mental health specialist.

The weight loss effects on your buttocks are not to blame for either the gas or the diarrhea so rest assured on that. Nevertheless you need to find out why you are having these abnormal symptoms. I do hope you are drinking plenty of water to replace fluids lost with exercise and diarrhea.

|