Question: Rectal Bleeding

curiousboi - Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:00 am

My bf is experiencing rectal bleeding when he has a bowel movement. This has occured several times for a day or two periods then it will go away and wont be a problem for several weeks, then something triggers it again. In the past he has treated it with an OTC Henroid cream and that seems to reduce the problem.

We have not had any form of anal sex in over 4 months. He seems to be a healthy 20 year old without problems like weight disorders, or any other concerns. Although, in his past he has drank heavily and I am not sure about the other times but this time he had a lot to drink with his mom the night prior. He eats junkish types of food but he has been eating that since he was little so no food changes recently or durring that time.

He also has an odd way of having a bowel movement. He squats above the toilet (standing on the seat) if that may be a concern in his method of having a BM.

Other than that there is no physical injury that I have knowlege of..

He is going to the doctor as soon as they can get him in but he needs some reasurance that he is ok but just needs to get this problem fixed...

Also could this be a symptom of an STD? (IE: HIV/AIDS, Gonorrehea, Hepatitis, Herpes???)
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:09 pm

User avatar Dear Curiousboi:
What you are describing sounds like hemmorhoids caused by chronic constipation. The fact that he gets into a certain position to help his bowels to move means he is unable to make his bowels move even with straining. While drinking heavily can cause gastrointestinal bleeding you would most likely have the bleeding from the stomach or upper bowel and that case the blood would be black and tarry not red. Having anal sex while having problems with bleeding from the rectum would only make the bleeding worse as the rubbing of the thin intestinal wall, during the sex act, would irritate the many small blood vessels within the wall. The reason the hemorrhoid cream works is that it shrinks up the bleeding blood vessels. The continued bleeding is no doubt from the vessels further up that he cannot reach with the cream. Plenty of fuids, stool softeners and a high fiber diet will help to relieve the constipation that is causing the rectal bleeding. While one instance of rectal bleeding isn't calamitous frequent episodes can actually lead to anemia which is a more serious problem.
Thanks for using The Doctor's Lounge,
Carolyn

curiousboi - Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:14 am

Carolyn,

I thank you for your response.

:-)
 manpune8701 - Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:25 pm

um.... when I go to the bathroom lately (well like 2 months).... I feel no pain or anything until I wipe then there is blood and it hurts to wipe... sometimes there's less and othertimes there is a lot... what do you think it is and what should I do?.. thank you...

|