News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: blood in bowel movements

tulip18 - Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:26 am

Thank u for ur quick reply... well yesterday i started to get abodominal pain (upper in between my navel and breast bone) this happened after the bleeding so im not sure if its connected. i did have an endoscopy done 3 or 4 weeks ago and that came out negative, but i did experience pain for a few days after my endoscopy. I should add that i am also very inactive for an 18 year old... and i think that could be the cause of my constipation... i am in germany so i cant just go see the doctor without going through the hassle of insurance.... thats why ur advice is important to me.... the abdominal pain is ussually the worst while im eating.... thank u for ur time
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:09 pm

User avatar Dear Tulip:
Chronic constipation can cause rectal bleeding and pain in the abdominal area. In fact when one is constipated they just feel lousy all over. To avoid constipation you need to eat foods with lots of fiber such as grains, fruits, vegetables and most importantly drink at least 8 large glasses of water a day. Taking a stool softenor can also help prevent the stool to pass without causing bleeding. Because older people (seniors) tend to eat less fibrous foods and drink less water as they get older they have more trouble with constipation and tend to focus a lot on their bowel problems. Someone your age, though (18) should not be experiencing worry over bowel movements. If you follow the guidelines set out above then nature should take its course and your constipation should disappear. Then you will feel better I'm sure.
Regards,
Carolyn

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here