Question: Nausea after eating- So many GI tests done-all normal.

irelandsj - Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:22 pm

I lost 17 lbs from Nov '07 to Feb '08 (went from 115lbs to 98lbs) and I felt extremely nauseated all the time which prompted me to get checked out. I' ve been feeling extremely nauseated after eating. The longer i don't eat, the better I feel, but I've been forcing myself to eat. I've tried to see if different foods were giving me problems, but it seems like I feel sick no matter what I eat.

In the last 3 months I've had a colonoscopy, an endoscopy with biopsy, an upper Gi with small bowel follow through, a CT scan of the abdomen w/and w/o contrast, an MRI of the abdomen w/ and w/o contrast, an MRCP of the abdomen w/and w/o contrast. I had a gastric emptying test but i hadn't moved my bowels in about 4 days so it came up abnormal at 88%. Everything else came back normal. I've had blood work and everything came back normal, though my vit D was mildly low, and my ferratin was on the low end of normal, so my PCP prescribed Iron supplements. I'm taking a multivitamin everyday. I've been moving my bowels daily with the help of metamucil and i'm still feeling nauseated after eating.

For about a month, i was getting neuropathies /pains/ numbness which started in my toes and fingertips and then spread to me feet and left leg, and then my hands and arms. My right hand would swell up red and hurt. I get cold sweats some nights. I never have a fever. The numbess seems less since i started taking the iron supplements, but hasn't completely gone away. I' ve been told to see a Neurologist about the numbness and I have an appt mar 31st.

But my main problem right now is the nausea! I am so sick of it! About 15mins to an hour after i eat i feel so nauseated and sick that i just want to die. What could this be? I've had all the tests and they're normal!! I had several 4? non-fasting blood glucose tests and all but one came back normal.

I am supposed to be getting a gene test for celiac done, but I don't even know if that would be the problem because everything i eat makes me nauseated. I'm also seeing an allergist, but I have same feeling about that.

I stopped lexapro in October after 3 years. I stopped the birth control patch in January. I had a hepatitis B series in 2007-- i had to get it for nursing school. I don't have a "medical history".

Please help! I've had so many opinions from dr's and no one can help me :(
 Cynthia H, RN - Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:32 pm

Try to have about 1/2 of a "braeburn" apple with each meal. This has been very helpful for those experiencing nausea and acid reflux and acid indigestion.
These apples are commonly sold at most grocery stores, Look for the labels on the apples themselves. The cost of each apple is about a dollar. Once you have your problem under control, if this works, you can decrease the apple cosumption to 1/2 apple per day- at night would be best.

|