Question: Possible Strangulation...difficulty breathing, sore throat

wreckabec - Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:24 pm

I'm not sure if I need med. attention. Was in fight with boyfriend, last night. He put his hands around my throat for several seconds. I never lost consciousness. Was in pain, but thought I was more upset than anything. However, today, I have a sore throat, trouble swallowing and it feels tight to breathe. Do I need to go to the ER, or will this go away. Help, quick!
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:32 am

User avatar Hi!

How are you feeling today?

bill
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:13 pm

User avatar Hello:
I realize you did not ask any questions about abuse. You also did not state whether you are still keeping company with your boyfriend who did this to you. While certainly you should be concerned any time you have trouble breathing, what I would be most concerned about is the fact that your boyfriend put his hands on you in a way that is harmful. Statistics show that in relationships where abuse starts, things never improve, they only get worse. There is absolutely nothing you could do or say that would warrent him having the right to do what he did. Most persons abused feel they were at fault and somehow and caused the person to react violently. You did not cause it nor are you to blame for it. Please repeat the next sentence to yourself over and over until you are motivated to take action to protect yourself. "I deserve to be loved and since abuse is not a sign of love, I will not allow anyone to abuse me." Normal persons do not resort to violence in an argument. You were lucky this time that you did not die. Do you want to wait for him to have a second chance? He may not have meant to harm you but obviously he has a problem controlling his temper and in the end he uses physical means to express that anger. In those situations, he may not realize his own strength and may actually kill you before realizing how hard he is pressing on your throat. You are doing him no favors to let him continue to have an opportunity to repeat the offense. He needs counseling in order to learn anger management and he needs it now. You too, need to seek counseling to learn how to keep yourself from getting into relationships that are abusive. I urge you to seek medical attention for your throat and while at the doctors (or emergency room) ask them for a referral to an abuse counselor. It may not seem necessary now, after the fact, but in the long run you will be happy you took this step. Believe me, I speak not only as a nurse but also as a survivor of abuse.
Wishing you good health and a happy life,
Carolyn

|