Question: acid problems?

karladd - Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:26 am

Hi im 18 years old and i think i have acid problems. I started to get sharp pain in my stomach from my belly button upwards and then two days later got what i think is heart burn it doesnt really burn it stings more so ... i do have a burning pain in my tummy though... how can i help myself and see that its nothing serious? i was also wondering how long it takes and ulcer to develop and how long it takes it to perforate... i look forward to ur reply...
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:14 am

User avatar Hello:
Do you find you wake up with this burning sensation or is it only after eating? It is possible that you may have GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) or as is commonly called , Acid Reflux Disease.

Acid reflux disease (GERD) is often mistaken for occasional heartburn because heartburn is its most common symptom! But unlike occasional heartburn, the heartburn symptoms of acid reflux disease usually occur 2 or more days a week for at least 3 months and can damage your esophagus.

Acid reflux disease occurs when the reflux of stomach acid into the esophagus is frequent enough to impact your daily life and/or damage the esophagus. At the top of your stomach is a muscle called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), which normally opens and closes allowing food to enter. It also prevents the acid in your stomach from backing up into your esophagus. With GERD, the LES opens at inappropriate times, allowing acid from the stomach to get into the esophagus, where it doesn't belong.

Acid reflux disease can also lead to more serious medical conditions that require hospitalization and even surgery. In some acid reflux patients, acid can be regurgitated into the lungs, causing wheezing or cough. Acid reflux in the throat can cause sore throat. If acid reaches the mouth, it can dissolve the enamel of the teeth.

Millions of people have the disease and suffer from its most common symptom - frequent and persistent heartburn. Acid reflux disease can be treated and controlled.

Visiting your doctor, taking medicine as prescribed and making relevant changes to your lifestyle can help you work toward relieving your symptoms and maintaining a healthy digestive system.

Regards,
Carolyn
 karladd - Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:19 pm

i have had an endoscopy done.. that would have shown if i had gerd right? well i don't want to hurt my esophagus or get ulcers so i would like help on preventing it.. what to eat.... i have pain in my lower left abdomen and pelvic area too and i was wondering if this could be ibs.... i never had heartburn before in my life until last year when i took anti inflammotorys...
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:45 pm

User avatar What did the doctor say the results of the endoscopy were? You could have GERD without it showing on the endoscopic exam. It is diagnosed by symptoms of burning indigestion especially after eating or when lying down. It is made worse by eating acid foods such as tomatoes or citrus fruits. You need to discuss the symptoms of bowel pain with your doctor as it could be attributed to other things besides IBS. When you speak to your doctor ask him for a diet plan to follow. There is a diet plan for GERD and one for IBS. It would be impossible to list it all in this forum.
Regards,
Carolyn

|