News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Passing yellow pea-sized cysts in diarrhea

shan31772 - Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:01 am

I have been having chronic diarrhea for the past 4 months and have been passing these yellow cyst-like objects, that look like yellow peas. At first, I thought maybe they were something I hadn't digested yet, but now I am becoming concerned. They aren't visible at every bm, but 7 out of 10 times. This evening I "captured" one and it seemed to be filled with some kind of fluid. When I exerted pressure on it, it popped, but the cyst remained. The cyst did not break up or disolve, it only flattened out. I am worried it is some kind of parasite or sign of a serious health condition. Any information that anyone could give would be most appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:17 am

User avatar Hi shan31772,
There is a parasitic infection called Giardia. Giardia is found in water which has been infected with the stool of infected animals or humans. Outside of the body, Giardia is protected by an outer shell called a cyst. In this form, Giardia can survive for long periods of time. To become infected, a person must eat or drink food or water which contains the Giardia cysts. A common source of infection is water from springs or rivers which is contaminated with the feces of animals or humans. Giardia cysts are far harder to kill with chlorine or iodine than bacteria or viruses. When viable cysts enter the digestive tract, they form active parasites, feed, and multiply. More cysts are passed in the individual's stool making it contagious especially if bathroom hygiene is laxed. I would suggest that you contact your doctor who may want you to bring a fresh stool sample for evaluation. Regardless whether or not it's this particular condition, since you have had diarrhea for such an extended period of time, you certainly need evaluated. I hope this helps :)
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here