Question: Passing yellow pea-sized cysts in diarrhea

shan31772 - Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:01 am

I have been having chronic diarrhea for the past 4 months and have been passing these yellow cyst-like objects, that look like yellow peas. At first, I thought maybe they were something I hadn't digested yet, but now I am becoming concerned. They aren't visible at every bm, but 7 out of 10 times. This evening I "captured" one and it seemed to be filled with some kind of fluid. When I exerted pressure on it, it popped, but the cyst remained. The cyst did not break up or disolve, it only flattened out. I am worried it is some kind of parasite or sign of a serious health condition. Any information that anyone could give would be most appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:17 am

User avatar Hi shan31772,
There is a parasitic infection called Giardia. Giardia is found in water which has been infected with the stool of infected animals or humans. Outside of the body, Giardia is protected by an outer shell called a cyst. In this form, Giardia can survive for long periods of time. To become infected, a person must eat or drink food or water which contains the Giardia cysts. A common source of infection is water from springs or rivers which is contaminated with the feces of animals or humans. Giardia cysts are far harder to kill with chlorine or iodine than bacteria or viruses. When viable cysts enter the digestive tract, they form active parasites, feed, and multiply. More cysts are passed in the individual's stool making it contagious especially if bathroom hygiene is laxed. I would suggest that you contact your doctor who may want you to bring a fresh stool sample for evaluation. Regardless whether or not it's this particular condition, since you have had diarrhea for such an extended period of time, you certainly need evaluated. I hope this helps :)

|