News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Constipated 4 days- need to see doctor?

ACTN - Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:31 pm

I have been constipated for four days, only small, pebble like, or thin stool. Tried this morning, with very limited amout of diarrhea. I'm usually like a clock. small amount of dull abdominal pain in days leading to this....thought I was wearing my belt too tight.

I farm, so many times I use the restroom outside, clinging to a tree, with a fast thrust. My stool is usually very soft, almost like diarrhea, but not?

Kinda feels like an obstruction, but I may be reading too much. It has caused me to lose my appetite.

As said before, I'm a pretty regular 'bathroom goer' for last five years(I'm 31), but before that, I tended to hold in my feces in until I was absolutely miserable, upon which time I would defecate so that it would almost always plug the toilet, and cause hemmoroids.

I still suffer lightly from hemmoroids, but not bad. I sometimes have a little bright blood on my toilet paper, and usually have a little discharge a little while after defacating. I'm feeling a really big caution here. Thank you for any response.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:31 pm

User avatar Hello,
Constipation is certainly a frustrating and uncomfortable condition. You can take a laxative such as Ducolax, Miralax, etc. and even try using a glycerine suppository. In addition to this, increase your water intake considerably. If you body senses dehydration it will do whatever is necessary to correct it - even drawing from the stool in the bowel. A Fleets enema or even taking oral phosphosoda can help in the short term. If nothing helps unplug the pipes, or you start to have liquid stool coming around without anything else, especially if you start vomiting, you may need to see a doctor for a blockage.

Lack of appetite is typical (there's no place for the food to go). After you solve your immediate problem you would be wise to do some other lifestyle changes. Take a daily fiber supplement such as Metamucil, Citracel, and Konsyl. Continue to drink extra water, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, especially with skins, pulp, etc. Add whole grains instead of fluffy white breads. It sounds like you are on the right track with regular bathroom time so your body doesn't hold it in so long. You need to send the message to your brain that you don't have to wait. These measures will help with the hemorrhoids too.

Good luck

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here