Question: pain, abscess, thrush, migraines, etc.

angel31523 - Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:54 pm

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I'm trying to figure out if all my symptoms are somehow connected.

I am a 25 y/o female and starting in 1995 began going to the doctor over abdominal pain. They could not find the cause of the pain but diagnosed me with high cholesterol and having migraine headaches. I was never put on medication for the cholesterol and they never followed up on it (not sure why...I was 12 at the time).

In the past 5 years the abdominal pain has gotten much worse and I will have it on either side and sometimes in my lower back. I have gone to the ER over it and they can find no cause. One night my boss sent me to the ER because I was very dizzy and disoriented and they could find no reason for it.

I got pregnant in 2006 and most of my symptoms went away besides the headaches. Then months after having my daughter I developed multiple abscesses in my breasts and in my armpits. I was not breastfeeding and it had been over 3 months since I had given birth (I was not and had not been developing milk for quite a while and my breast surgeon did not think it was related to having given birth). Some were deep in the tissue and some were just under the skin, and would grow to the size of golf balls within days and I had around 8 total within a few weeks. A few months after that I developed a severe case of thrush in my mouth (that has not been the first time I have had thrush). My doctor tested me for diabetes which came back negative, but he noted that my cholesterol was at 270 (? not sure what that means but he never followed up on that).

I am now having the abdominal pain quite often and can find no cause or connection with my period, or whether any of my other symptoms may be connected. It will literally drop me to my knees and I won't be able to move when I have it. At least once every few days I have also been "blacking out" where, while I'm standing, my vision turns completely black but I don't lose consciousness. Again, I'm not sure if that is connected.

Am I completely crazy or could there be a cause for all this?????
Thank you so much in advance for any help or advice!
 Dr. A. Madia - Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Abdominal pain is sometimes the most difficult symptom to diagnose. If persistent the usual causes need to be ruled out. That would be the gall bladder, the liver, hyperacidity, GERD or hiatus hernia, Pancreas, kidney stones, metabolic causes like porphyria and diabetic ketoacidosis etc.

Getting thrush several times without diabetes is a bit unusual and you may ask your doctor is an immunology consultation needed.

Cholesterol level in childhood and young females like you is a controversial matter and no consensus has evolved about its importance or treatment. In 1995 you would be 14 and no physician would prescribe you a statin at that age. Even now at age of 24, I do not think your need a cholesterol treatment in absence of any atherosclerotic vascular disease.

Take care,

Apurva

|