News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Cannot Swallow have lost 20 lbs.

juju - Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:00 am

Hi,

I came across this site looking for some advice. I'm hoping someone here can offer me some and maybe the "extent" of my problem.

I am a 26 yr. old female and i have had problems swallowing since i was 14. Up until recently (about a year and a half) it has really started to affect me. I have lost 20 pounds due to this. It has become very difficult for me. At this point i can barely swallow. I only eat about once a day and drink twice. Since i can barely pass anything, including fluids. My throat feels like it's closed off and like i'm going to choke on everything. I don't know if i should go to the ER because i don't know if they'll consider it an emergency and what they would do if anything, i also do not have insurance. This is affecting me greatly, i only weigh 100 pounds if that, last time i weighed myself was about 6 months ago, and i'm 5'5 in height. I look anorexic. I also know this can't be good for me and my body, heart etc., what can/should i do? Any advice is truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:13 pm

User avatar Hi!

There could be many causes for difficulty swallowing like stricture, rings, webs, spasms, diverticula, mass, scleroderma, etc.

Your doctor might consider doing an endoscopy to evaluate your esophagus to determine the cause of your difficulty.

It would be best to consult your doctor.

bill
 juju - Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:08 am

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am thinking of going to an emergency room to see if something can be done immediately. I do not have insurance so out of pocket would be very expensive and probably not affordable in my case. Iam going to call first to see what they say. I will keep you informed and once again Thank you. :D

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here