Question: just ignore it???

JMark - Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Have had right upper quadrant pain for four years. Have had my gallbladder removed, no improvement. Been on medication for what my Dr. Feels is IBS or dumping syndrome without any improvement. No weight loss, in fact, slight weight gain. Pain so severe sometimes it takes my breath away, I can't go to work. Feels like a knife going through me. Pain is not associated with bowel movement. Long hx. of loose stools, nothing new. Two CT scans, negative, ultrasounds negative, blood workup negative. Feel like I am supposed to "just live with it" without a dx.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:51 pm

User avatar Dear jMark,

The right upper quadrant contains other organs besides the gall bladder and the colon. Ontop of them is the liver and the kidney, a part of the lung is considered by some to be included in the differential diagnosis of right upper quadrant pain.

Looks that you had all the workup done. i am not sure whether they looked specifically at kidney stones but i think that this should be looked for if not already done. You never mentioned a urinalysis for example.

You have to mention also what is the character of pain that you get, how long does it last, any other associated symptoms? Does any thing provoke it, what relieves it, what are the medications that you took or the manoeuvers that you had done to try and feel better.

JMark - Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:21 pm

Ultrasounds and measurements of kidneys are "normal" Have had unremarkable Urinalysis, Liver enzymes 'normal'. No recent CXR but have not had any associated cough? or fevers.
Nothing seems to provoke the pain. For instance, I can go up to four days without any pain, then it will come on and last constant. I describe it as the pain in your side you get after running. Sometimes, like today, the pain was so severe, I could not raise my right arm to lift anything. There is nothing that seems to provoke it. It just comes and goes. PROBLEM: I cannot relieve it. Sometimes I take Alleve, Naproxen, Tylenol and it only dulls it. Like on a pain scale from 9 to 6...Have also taken prescription Darvocet, Vicodin, Belladona, Dicyclomine, and Amitriptyline over the years without improvement.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:35 pm

User avatar Dear jMark,

i can not really say that the pain characterisitcs are typical of any pain that originate from the right upper quadrant that i know. The only thing that i can think of at this point is that you should see a gastroenterologist for the possibility of having an endoscopy. This could be caused by a hernia but the ct scan was normal.

You must be really frustrated but sometimes it is difficult to diagnose a case.

Long shot, but, this alos could be caused by something related to the spine.

If the gastroentrologist (if you have not already seen one) finds nothing and the pain continues, i would recommend that you viist one of the tertiary care referal centers in your area like the University of Wisconsin in Madison or the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. If you are close to the Minnesota borders may be you would like to go the Mayo clinic.

|