Question: cannot eat

pokey - Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:20 pm

i have severe ocd and anxiety, my newest "quirk" being that i think i am going to slowly choke from food getting stuck in my throat or die from food inhalation or breath in a beverage, I'm sorry to bother you with such a stupid problem but it is taking over my life, where if i do eat or drink im holding my breath and chewing till food totally disinegrates, If you could maybe just give me facts about choking that may make me feel better, maybe it will help me get over this "quirk" quicker. everyone is very angry at me because of it.
p.s i haven't been able to go on the meds im supposed to cuz another quirk being, that i think im allergic to every medication i take.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:46 am

User avatar Hi!

Have you ever choked in your life? Choking phobia is not something new, and there are lot many out there with the same problem as you. The fear in itself poses no actual danger. Eventhough we might be able to realize it to be irrational, when facing it or thinking about it can bring severe anxiety to those with this form of phobia.

But as for any fear, confronting it would be the way out. You might enlist the help of a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist to attain some behavioral therapy for the same.

If choking was a real instance in your life, tips to prevent it would be:

-Cut food into small pieces.
-Chew food slowly and thoroughly, especially if wearing dentures.
-Avoid laughing and talking during chewing and swallowing.
-Avoid excessive intake of alcohol before and during meals.

As for the phobia, you may take control of yourself by giving yourself certain privileges that you so like (going for a game/movie), for every attempt of confronting the feared food.

Hope this helps.

bill

|