News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: cannot eat

pokey - Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:20 pm

i have severe ocd and anxiety, my newest "quirk" being that i think i am going to slowly choke from food getting stuck in my throat or die from food inhalation or breath in a beverage, I'm sorry to bother you with such a stupid problem but it is taking over my life, where if i do eat or drink im holding my breath and chewing till food totally disinegrates, If you could maybe just give me facts about choking that may make me feel better, maybe it will help me get over this "quirk" quicker. everyone is very angry at me because of it.
p.s i haven't been able to go on the meds im supposed to cuz another quirk being, that i think im allergic to every medication i take.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:46 am

User avatar Hi!

Have you ever choked in your life? Choking phobia is not something new, and there are lot many out there with the same problem as you. The fear in itself poses no actual danger. Eventhough we might be able to realize it to be irrational, when facing it or thinking about it can bring severe anxiety to those with this form of phobia.

But as for any fear, confronting it would be the way out. You might enlist the help of a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist to attain some behavioral therapy for the same.

If choking was a real instance in your life, tips to prevent it would be:

-Cut food into small pieces.
-Chew food slowly and thoroughly, especially if wearing dentures.
-Avoid laughing and talking during chewing and swallowing.
-Avoid excessive intake of alcohol before and during meals.

As for the phobia, you may take control of yourself by giving yourself certain privileges that you so like (going for a game/movie), for every attempt of confronting the feared food.

Hope this helps.

bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here