Question: not normal bowel habits

tara - Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:17 am

I am 19 i don't drink much maybe once a month and i don't smoke. Two months ago i started getting constipated, i then got blood in my bowel movements it was bright red with mucus and was just on the outside of the stool so i took it as being hemmeroids. It lasted about a week. Then i got black in my stools after that. It wasnt the whole stool but it looked like the black was part of the stool. Sometimes it just looks like black speckles all over it and sometimes there are just a few little spots of black. I am not sure if it is blood or something else. I do not take any medications. I drink a litre and a half of water most days. I don't drink anything but water. I can go to the bathroom daily thats not the problem but ussually its like marbles not one complete bowel movement. It always breaks apart. I know this probably sounds gross but your doctors so i hope u don't mind. Today i went to the bathroom 3 times so far the first time was dry and marbles the second was alot softer and a small movement and the third was really soft. I sometimes get a stomach ache after i eat. I am trying to gain weight but its not working i keep eating but im not sure if my metabolism is really good or whats happening. I had an endoscopy done before all this started and the endoscopy was normal. Im not sure if my stomach is swollen or is just chubbier because of eating. I don't know what to expect if i go to a doctor. Im 19 so i don't have any thought of cancer i don't know what could be causing it. I am also pretty tired. I think i might be a little depressed also because of being sick and my boyfriend being gone most the time. I would also like to know how to healthily gain weight. thank you for reading this.

tara
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:38 am

User avatar Hi!

Why did you have an endoscopy in the first place? Do you have adequate fiber intake?

Click here for Healthy eating

bill
 tara - Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:29 am

I had an endoscopy because i was experiencing stomach pain. But we figured that it was from stress since all my tests were normal. I try ato eat as much fruits as i can and i drink plenty of water. what do u think it would be. do u think it is serious or can wait two months until i can see a doctor for free.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:46 am

User avatar Hi!

If your problems arose within weeks of endoscopy, you may remain calm as long as the bleeding did not amount to more than half a cup of blood. But if it recurs or exceeds, it would be wise to see your doctor for further advice.

bill

|