Question: Bright red blood on my stool and in the water

capricekid - Fri May 23, 2008 4:02 pm

am a 45 year old female with no family history of colon cancer or any other cancer for that matter. About 7 months ago i began having symptoms of IBS. I went to the gastro doctor who ran all kinds of blood work as well as fecal test to see if there were any bacteria, paracites or blood in my stool. All came back fine. I was having alternating constipation, diarhea. Somtimes i would get a real sudden urge to go to the bathroom. That would happen 2-3 times a week. That lasted maybe 2-3 months then it started to go away. I would still struggle with some constipation and the diahrea would come maybe once a week or so. At that time i was getting real bad back pains that would go anywhere from my lower back to my mid back towards the sides. Now I get the diarhea much less, maybe once a week if that and the occasional back pain.
At the time that this was real bad i had an adom Cat scan and all was normal including my large and small bowels.
Now for about two weeks i have noticed bright red blood on the surface only of my stool and on the toilet paper and some drips in the toilet bowl. I do have a history of hemmoriods. When it first began i felt myself tear from i guess pushing to go to the bathroom. It hurt for a few days/ Now it no longer hurts but i still see bright red blood. It does not happen every bowel movement. When i tried to go to the bathroom tonight i was pushing and blood dripped into the water.I could not move my bowels but there was some blood in the bowl. I do not feel any pain at all. One time it kinda looked like a small clottish type blood on my stool.
I was thinking about going for a Virtual Colonoscopy but it is 500.00, I do not want a regular one because i do not want to be sadated. I am sorry but i am afraid of that. I had my CBC checked again two days ago and it was all normal. I do not know if i should go get the virtual or wait to see if it goes away on its own. Also how bad is the prep process for a virtual? I have heard that it does not give you that crampy feeling just the urge to go. Any advise you could give me would be great. Just to let you know i have always had trouble all my life with constipation and gas and bloating with mucas in my stool from time to time so that is nothing new, My normal times of going to the bathroom have always been two-three times a week. Sometimes more..
Lizzy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:59 pm

User avatar Hello again -

I think I addressed this in another post by you in a different area here, but it didn't explain the reason for the wish to avoid the real colonoscopy. Now that I know what the problem is, I understand better, but must repeat that if a virtual colonoscopy were to show up anything at all, you'd be required to have the real c-scope anyway, in order to determine what was actually seen on the virtual c-scope.

I would take the time to discuss my concerns about sedation with the doctor, as the sort of light sedation used nowadays is barely noticeable and actually quite pleasant, with very very low occurrence of any side effects (other than sedation itself, which works marvelously well).

The best thing would be to find reassurance about modern sedation techniques, which are very, very benign and, in many people's estimation a pleasant half-hour spent. Seriously.

I would also stress the importance of having this done, given your history. It will likely turn up nothing, but either way it is important, one for your health, the other for your peace of mind.

Best of luck to you with this.

|