News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: lose stool since birth

luvumason - Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi, I have a three year old little boy that has had a lose stool since birth. I briefly discussed it with his doctor a few times and she recently asked me to collect a stool sample and bring it back to her. I brought it in this morning and she said that it did look lose a greasy to her and she was wondering about malabsorbtion. She also mentioned that she saw undigested peas in it which I told her was imposible seeings that he doesn't eat peas. Infact, he will not touch any fruits or vegetables accept bannanas. What could be causing this and what in the world would have looked like green pellets??? Also, just to mention my son has autism and is a very picky eater and is very funny about eating things that are green. He did have chuncky peanut butter a few days before though and I was wondering if peanuts digest or if maybe that was what she was seeing?!?!
Thanks!!!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:33 pm

User avatar Hello -

Malabsorbtion disease sounds like the most likely cause of such a long-term problem. Celiac disease can often be controlled by elimination of certain foods which contain gluten (which is a lot more foods than one could list here, and certainly not just whole wheat products by any means). There is a blood test for celiac disease which would be well worthwhile in your son's case.

As for the "peas", it seems likely the doctor was seeing partially digested peanuts. They would look very similar.

I certainly hope you can get this sorted out, as it could make a big difference in your son's health and growth. Good luck to you and please do follow up here with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here