Question: The pain is terriable Bright red blood in Stool

capricekid - Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:42 am

Hello i am a 45 year old female with no family history of colon cancer or any cancer for that matter. Last November I began having some lower left back pain and lower abdominal pain. I would get a mix between diarhea and constipation. The diarhea would be so urgent that i barly felt it comin on, Just a few cramps would come and i would have to run to the bathroom.I Had bloating and gas as well. I went to ER where they did a lot of blood work, a CT of my abdom, a ultra sound, internal as well as the regular one. They found a 4cm Cyst on my right ovary but that was all. I Followed up with my family doctor and my OB GYN. My Doctor ordered a an MRI of my pelvoc area and a lower back Xray. The Cyst had resolved and the xray showed only a minor curve of the spine. Nothing that should cause pain. I went to the Gastro Doctor. He gave me fiber to take and said he thought it was IBS.He did do blood test for all kinds of things including a CBC. Also a stool sample for blood amoung other things which were all negitive. The symptoms weaned over the next 2 months. I had a flare up again in March but it did not last that long. About a month ago i went to the bathroom and had a little bit of blood on the stool but i knew that i had tore myself trying to go to the bathroom cause i felt it. That went away. Now for the last week I see bright red blood on my stool and once it even looked like a blood clot.. I Have been in so much back pain and bloating that i am getting depressed. I did not move my bowels for almost a week. I took an enema which did hardly any good. I went Back to the Gastro doctor and he ow put me on a proabotic and Miralax. I finally had to drink prune juice to go. I went real hard at first with some blood and then i went soft with bright red blood in the toliet. I Do not know what to do. I Did try to go for a Virtual colonoscopy but threw up the drink so they would not do it. I want to get one done but what do i use to cleanse myself out. Also i am afraid of bleeding if i do a cleanse. I MIght ad that i have had a life long history of constipation, Excessive gas and bloating so that is nothing new.I also have a history of hemroids both inside and out and have bled in the past from the internal ones. I am afraid that something is really wrong. My doctor did not even do a complete rectal like with a digital or anything. Do you get lower back pain with colon problems. I really want a virtual but do not know how to cleanse if i can not drink the stuff that they give to me. They gave me stuff called LO_SO which is low sodium sinse i have High Blood pressure. I just had my CBC done again and all was fine.Thanks so much for your help. Also the back pain got much less with the bowel movement but is still there in a dull ache, Thank you so much for your time
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:26 pm

What you describe, for the most part, sounds like classic IBS. The eventual constipation (which is always a miserable experience) at least responded normally to prune juice, which means it wasn't as extreme as it may have seemed. The blood, especially the bright red, is very likely related to hemorrhoids along with straining at stool, or a rectal tear during the passage of hard stool. However, the symptoms do warrant a colonoscopy. You realize that if a virtual colonoscopy shows up anything suggestive you would then need to have a regular one anyway, correct? Is there any reason (other than the obvious annoyance of the regular type) that you prefer a VC? You could ease your mind in a couple hours by having a regular 'scope done. You can have pain in the lower back from IBS and other colon-related problems, but it just adds weight to the argument for a real colonoscopy. There are now pills one can take the day before the 'scope, so there is far less likelihood of throwing anything back up, and it works fine.

Since you have a lifelong history of this sort of problem, you are most likely suffering from IBS, which is a difficult problem to manage at times, but there are better therapies and medications turning up all the time. If you should have any polyps or other growths, it is important to know about them and have them removed. This can be done during the colonoscopy if needed, with little to no discomfort.

I hope this is helpful to you. I hope you'll continue to be followed by a gastroenterologist and that you'll consider a real colonoscopy. Good luck to you.
 capricekid - Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 am

Thanks for the answer. I Had a Sig and a Barruim enema and what they found was a big ole Hemmroid that was causing the bleeding so that was good news.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:20 pm

User avatar Hi there -

I never thought I'd be saying this, but congratulations on the big ol' hemorrhoid. That really is good news.
 capricekid - Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am

Hello I know having a hemorrhoid does not sound like a good thing but believe me sometimes it really is.

|