Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Questions on abnormal LFTs

fyrmnk - Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi I am a 34 yom. Good physical shape, eat healthy, exercise regularly. Take multi-vitamin, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, St. John's Wort, and creatine daily. No other meds.

Annual '08 work physical had abnormal lab blood results as follows in January (I'll list all normal results below them for '08). All urinalysis results were fine:
ALT (H): 101
AST (H): 119
Direct Bilirubin (H): .4
LDH (H): 302
Anion gap (H): 20
A/G/ ratio (H): 2.2
Chloride (H): 114
Carbon dioxide (L): 13
Eosinophils (L): .8

All other '08 results within normal ranges as noted here:
WBC: 4.7
S. Neutrophils: 61.2
Lymphocytes: 28.2
Monocytes: 9.5
Basophils: .3
RBC: 4.96
Hemoglobin: 14.4
Hematocrit: 43
MCV: 86.8
MCH: 29
MCHC: 33.5
RDW: 13.8
Platelets: 314
MPV: 8.1
Blood Urea Nitrogen: 13
Creatinine: 1
Sodium: 143
Potassium: 4.2
Glucose: 94
Protein: 7.4
Albumin: 5.1
Calcium: 9.7
Phosphorus: 4.1
Uric Acid: 5.9
Total Bilirubin: .7
Indirect Bilirubin: .3
Cholesterol: 159
Triglycerides: 52
HDL: 42
LDL: 107
Alkaline Phosphatase: 81
GGTP: 24
Iron: 119
Coronary Risk Ratio: 3.8

In 2007 had the following abnormal blood results with normal urinalysis:
ALT (H): 62
AST (H): 71
A/G ratio (H): 2.6
LDH (L): 117
Lymphocytes (L): 18.4
All other results within normal ranges.

All pre-'07 labs were completely normal. I drink moderately usually, and sometimes heavily, but not every night and often go weeks with none at all. In fact, no alcohol intake at all for three weeks previous to the blood work done this year. Doc that did physical just said he didn't know and to follow up with a doctor. I blew it off last year since there's no symptoms and expected everyting to be fine this year.

So here are my questions:

-Are these anything to be concerned about?
-Would this mean there's actually permanent damage or just that it was irritated?
-If there is damage to the liver, how long does it take to fully heal after abstaining from alcohol (barring cirrhosis obviously)

I would just like to know what these results truly mean since I am very bad about getting to doctors. I have further reduced alcohol use, occasionally going 3-4 weeks with none at all, but do enjoy it sometimes and have no desire to fully quit. Thanks for any info.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 pm

These are back-to-back, significantly abnormal LFTs, which warrant a follow up, although I don't understand the doctor's passing it of to "a doctor." Nevertheless, because of the amount of periodic drinking you do, and the increased levels of the same components and with the addition of a high bilirubin count, I would be concerned enough to at least have a complete workup. It could have been a transient change, but it does appear to be a trend. The liver is the only organ which can regenerate itself, once the offending agent is removed. This would be alcohol in this case, and you may be in the very early stages of cirrhosis, which could probably be reversed, but don't take this to mean you can just stop drinking and be ok. First, stopping is not anywhere near as easy as anyone with a drinking problem chooses to believe it is (and they usually also choose to believe they don't have a problem. You do have one). Second, it often requires medical supervision, especially where there is early liver damage, which there may well be in this case.

By all means have yourself worked up fully by a doctor and consider the possibility that you have a drinking problem which is harming your health.

Please follow up with us here, also. Good luck to you.
 fyrmnk - Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:42 am

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to get more bloodwork done in the next couple weeks. As it turns out I've actually cut back significantly this year just as I've gotten older (even before I got the results back early in the year), often going 3-4 weeks or more and at times 1 to 1 1/2 months without so much as a beer. The doc that does our physicals is an occupational health doctor so I don't know if he hasn't kept up on it or what. All he said was to follow up with a doctor. Anyway, been quite a few months since that draw so I'll go see what's up now and update then. Thanks again.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:19 pm

User avatar You're welcome, and good job on both the follow-through on the labs and on the big cutback. Keep up the good work and do stay in touch.
 fyrmnk - Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:04 pm

Thinks, had another blood test and all is normal. Thanks for all the feedback.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:35 am

User avatar Good news. I had a feeling it was just a little "jitter" in the findings. Thanks for the folow up. Stay well.

|