Question: White Substance in Stool

meowmix435 - Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:23 pm

All day today I've been experiencing mild lower abdominal pain, accompanied by several trips to the toilet. I have had mild diarrhea, along with this strange white substance, separate from the stool, that looks rather a ball of animal fur. I don't know what it is and am very concerned. I haven't really changed anything in my diet recently, although over the past few days I have eaten quite a bit of fruit salad (pineapple, honeydew, watermelon, cantaloupe, and grapes). What could be the cause of this? Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:03 pm

From your description and from the recent diet, it seems likely it is related to the fruit you've been eating, especially the pineapple, which contains a unique form of fiber which can, in some people, not digest fully and can actually form something similar to a bezoar (which is commonly associated with swallowing of hair or other extremely fibrous material). So long as it passes there should be no problem. Also, honeydew, if it is less than very ripe can come through looking this way.

Hope this is helpful and, of course, if it continues you should bring it to the attention of a doctor. Good luck to you.

|