Question: strange bathroom 'episodes' when having a bowl movement

momtogirls - Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:03 pm

i'm a 28 year old female. for a while now (about 12-13 years) i've been haveing what i affectionately call 'episodes' sometimes when i have a bowl movement. it doesn't always happen. At first i would pass out. i have a hard time explaining how i feel when this happens, but i'll try. at first i'll feel normal, like i just need to go to the bathroom, then i start to get really hot and can't cool down. the bowl movenment is always diarriah, or now just really soft stool. i get shaky, my stomic hurts so bad i'm not sure if i need to throw up too or not . i kind of hear a little ringing but not really (this is the hard to explain part) i don't feel like i'm in my body almost. i remember one time i tried to stay focused on the bathroom and i put my hand on the roll of toliet paper, i could feel it on my palm, but it felt really distant almost. its after that, that i would pass out. when i wake up i feel normal again. i never have any clue how long i am out for. i've passed out about 4 times and had really close calls about a dozen or more times. i've learned over the years the only way to stop them or make me fell beter durring them is to have ice cold air blow on me or take a cold washcloth to rub on my limbs and face. since i was pregnant with my oldest (now almost 3) i haven't passed out and they've changed a little. i don't quite feel as distant like i'm going to pass out. thats also when it went from diarriah to just really soft stool. i now have 2 kids and am 23 weeks pregnant. with both my other kids i didn't have these episods very often (something i was worried about both being summer pregnancys) but this time. i've been having them about every week for a month or so plus a couple in the first trimester. they leave me really weak and a little nasuated the rest of the day. i don't really feel like im going to throw up, my stomic is just upset and i don't want to go near food. i've noticed no difference what season it is. this happens in the winter too, when one is normally cold. but i'll still get really overheated and sick. the second time i passed out it was in the middle of the night after a day that i didn't eat very much at all except sweets late at night. i've had my blood sugar checked and is always fine. i never even got gestational diabietes with my pregnacys.(late onset diabetis runs in my family) i get really bad headachs all the time, but i've had those for as long as i can remeber. nothing new, or any different when i have these. i can't think of what might be causeing this. i don't have the strangth to do this anymore. i don't know what crohns is but i've looked up the symtoms and non fit. accationally the stool has a mucas to it. i don't know what to do. i finally have insurance souly because im pregnant but it's not the best coverage and i can't affort big expensive tests. one income for a family of 4+. any sujestions?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:04 pm

User avatar Hello Momtogirls,

What you are describing sounds like a condition called defecation syncope. This is a condition where having a bowel movement sends a vagal signal to the brain slowing the heart rate and causing fainting. This isn't particularly dangerous but can be very frustrating.

There are various treatments for this condition. One thing that will probably help and is easy to do is to be sure to drink plenty of fluids. I would also recommend seeing your doctor about this as there may be some other treatments that can help you.

The connection with loose stools is less certain. OFten, constipation can make it worse since one needs to strain to have a bowel movement, which can intensify the signaling causing the problem.

I would recommend you discuss this with your doctor. I suspect this can be improved for you.

|