News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Possible rectal bleeding.

Driftwood - Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi. I am a 20(21 next month) year old male with no real history of problems in this area. Recently I've been experiencing kind of a burning/stinging pain whenever I have a bowel movement. I've been assuming that it was just a hemmorhoid and haven't worried about it. The past few days this has been accompanied by abdominal pain(lower left side just to the left of my bellybutton, sprroadic also, it hurts for hours at a time, goes away, and will come back for anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours) and I've been tired all day every day for the past week or so whether I get 1 hour of sleep or 8 hours of sleep. Today I noticed a bright red in my stool. The water had also taken on a reddish tint. I've also been experiencing a lot of constipation over the past few weeks(2-4 days between movements at its worst) with some days where I can't go 20 minutes without having to run to the washroom in between. The constipation has however disappeared over the past week.

Should I be worried about anything here? I'm going to be making a doctor's appointment tomorrow but it could be a bit before the appointment.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:38 pm

User avatar Hello -

Whenever there is rectal bleeding (or a GI bleed of any kind) there is some cause for healthy concern at least. What you describe, for the most part, sounds like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), which involves lower abdominal pain, bloating, and constipation interspersed with diarrhea. The exam scheduling is timely, and while there is probably no real urgent need to be seen, you shouldn't put this off or reschedule. If it takes a couple weeks to be seen, that should be OK, so long as you've alread learned to live with the symptoms.

The bleeding could actually have been due to a hemorrhoid, since these are often the result of straining at stool during periods of constipation. The lowerl left quadrant pain, however, is bothersome and you may be referred for a colonoscopy. If so, please don't hesitate to have it done. It's not a very memorable experience, although the prep the day and evening before can be annoying. Other than that it's really no big deal. Normally they aren't done routinely until after the age of 50, but just in case this is suggested, I wanted to ease your mind about it up front.

Most likely this is a combination of IBS and a hemorrhoid that bled, but it is definitely important to know for sure what's going on.

Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here