Question: Twinges and dull pain under ribs and regular acid reflux

jamie85 - Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:32 am

For the last 6-9 months i have been experiencing twinges and dull pain under my right rib cage in my liver area. In the last month or so I have also noticed a similar pain in my left side. During this time I have also had a dull burning feeling in my chest, and often get mild heartburn like symptoms, several times per week. I have consulted the doctor twice about the first issue, and I had two bloodtests which showed there to be nothing wrong with my liver. Both the twinges and acid reflux symptoms are not very painful, and are not causing me to stop doing any work/sport etc, but I am concerned about the length of time they have been around and the frequency with which I notice them, and it is playing on my mind. What would be the best course of action? Jamie, age 23, West Sussex, England.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:01 pm

It does sound like you're having some GERD symptoms, but even though they are mild, the problem shouldn't have to be tolerated for long periods of time, especially when there are now numerous over-the-counter medications which are designed to control milder cases of GERD. Why not try a course of something like Prilosec OTC, or even ranitidine (Zantac) and see if that doesn't at least ease the symptoms. If it does, you could consider requesting a trial of a prescription strength drug to control the problem. There is sometimes some injury to the esophagus, and these medications allow it to heal by preventing the reflux from being a constant irritation.

Hope this is helpful to you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:05 am

I agree with John, this does sound a lot like GERD. Were you able to check with your doctor? I hope you are feeling better.

|