Question: Spontaneous Gagging without anything to cause it.

Andraken - Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:03 pm

I have recently begun gagging when I cough or sometimes without coughing. I do not feel nauseous before I gag, but it does cause me to vomit or begin to vomit. Physically I feel ok usually, until this gagging thing happens. I am 23 years old. I also at the same time that this developed (approx. 4 months ago) have begun to leg twitch at night when I sleep. Often it can keep me awake at night and I know right before my leg twitches (randomly left or right) by a feeling in the front of my leg kind of down it. I started to take melatonin in the evening before bed and that seems to help me sleep better without the twitches. I have no major health problems that I know of, so this is all strange. I recently spent a few nights out of my house (of which I moved into and this gag thing started at the same time) at a friends house and the gag thing and leg thing went away. Is it possible that there is something in my home (a trailer home) that has caused both of these things? I will move if so, but I feel I need to understand. To my knowledge I have no allergies to anything. In the past I have some drug abuse history, though that is well beyond me and I do currently smoke cigarettes, though I have for many years. My frequency in smoking has decreased some since this gagging thing, and since the leg twitching thing. Thank you for your help. Also it seems on average that I gag about 20 times a day or more.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:23 pm

While a strong gag reflex occurs in a certain number of people normally, to have it suddenly change like this is unusual. In light of the other neurological symptoms (the leg twitching, which sounds rather like restless leg syndrome or RLS), you may have something which requires medical evaluation. As for your residence being responsible, this is possible, but it would be near-impossible to figure that out from a distance -- or even up close. While the possibility exists, it is more likely you have developed some neurological problem -- it could be a very simple one or a more complex one -- and only a doctor could tell for sure by examining you and possibly doing some tests.

I hope you'll at least bring this to the attention of a doctor. If so, please do follow up with us here. Best of luck to you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:08 am

User avatar I hope you are feeling better. Please keep us updated.

|