Question: Diarrhea headaches weight loss swollen ankle/glands in foot

stylinmama21 - Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:49 pm

For about 10 weeks now I have been very sick. I have severe abdominal pain, severe diarrhea, a swollen ankle, headaches, swollen glands in both feet and on my calves just under my knee, and headaches. I've had a barium enema which showed that I had an inflamed bowel. Also I've had blood work which said I had a mild kidney infection. And stool samples which revealed no blood in my stool or any infections. I no longer know what to do as I have already seen 5 doctors and the first "diagnosis" was colitis and now Crohns. I'm waiting to have a colonoscopy for hopefully a firm diagnosis. Currently I am on Cloxacillin 500mg 4 times a day for 7 days to get rid of the swollen glands. The pills are not helping as I started taking them on Monday and it's Wednesday and I have since developed yet another swollen gland. I'm really at a loss here and I'm losing faith in my doctor (who at first wouldn't even listen to me and has since refered me to a specialist). Any suggestions for what I should be being tested for would be greatly appreciated. The blood work was not extensive just "general" things like sugar levels and electrolyte levels.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 pm

The pursuit of possible diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Chron's) makes sense and would fit with most of the symptoms you've listed. However, the swollen ankle really doesn't seem to belong unless it is related to the overall problem of swollen glands in the extremities. This, too, would seem most likely due to a different (although possibly) related cause. However, antibiotics for the lymphatic infection, if that's what it is, would take more than a couple days to kick in and show a significant improvement.

The only other GI problem I can think of that might not have been explored is celiac disease due to gluten intolerance, which is more common than most people realize, and can be diagnosed with a blood test that's not routinely ordered. You might want to mention this to your doctor -- unless you make a decision to find a new doctor, since you seem pretty dissatisfied with the current one. More specific bloodwork, aside from celiac testing, such as an ANA titer to check for autoimmune disease (which would help confirm inflammatory bowel disease or Chron's) should be done also.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck. Please follow up with us as needed.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:10 am

User avatar I hope you are feeling better. Please keep us updated.

|