News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Hepatitis C and peripheral neuropathy

allison S - Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:23 am

My 75 year old mother was diagnosed with Hepatitis C about 2 months ago. It is believed that she contracted this during a blood transfusion during a mastectomy for breast cancer back in the 70's. About 10 years ago, she was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, which was attributed to a chemical sensitivity, as she was not a diabetic, nor was she a drinker. After some research, I have discovered that peripheral neuropathy is oftentimes a symptom of cryoglobulinemia. So, my question is, could her peripheral neuropathy have been misdiagnosed, meaning that her Hepatitis C became active almost 10 years ago? And, if this is so, what does that mean for her prognosis now? She was diagnosed with Hepatitis C after her doctor ran blood tests to determine why her peripheral neuropathy seemed to be worsening, and her energy level was lagging.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:00 am

User avatar Hello -

Since peripheral neuropathy is often idiopathic (of no known cause), it would be sheer speculation to guess at whether or not the hep C was active ten years ago or not. It seems unlikely, but of course is possible. Many people have it for years before they are finally diagnosed, but there is no correlation between duration of its presence in the body and the prognosis from the time it is actually diagnosed.

Idiopathic peripheral neuropathy can be related to cryoglobulinemia, but this is very difficult to prove, especially so long after the fact.

The bottom line is that the issue is moot. Hep C is managed, often quite effectively, although it can certainly have its ups and downs. IPN is very common among people in their 60s and beyond, and is also treatable if it causes nerve pain. Each is managed symptomatically. You can safely regard them as two separate entitites, even if there could be proven a long-past connection at this point.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you and your mother. Please stay in touch with us here as needed.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:11 am

User avatar I hope your mother is feeling better. Please keep us updated.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here