News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: HIDA scan did not go as expected

cutie1981 - Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:23 pm

I am a 26 year old female who has been having pain on the right side, below the ribcage and into the back for about a year and half. Have had a few cases of very mild pancreatitis. Have had a CT, ultrasounds, endoscopy and lots of blood taken. Today I had a HIDA scan, during the scan, the gallbladder did not show up within an hour of the dye being injected. I then had to wait half and hour and then took some more pictures. I then had to drink some high protein, high calorie stuff and take pics for half an hour and again the stuff did not show up in the gallbladder and I had to wait again. I was just wondering if this was normal? or if this was an indication that something isn't working properly.

Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:07 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Usually what this indicates is that the gallbladder is full of stones and/or sludge and probably isn't functioning. This would be entirely consistent with your other symptoms which led to the HIDA scan being done, and probably means you can say so long to your gallbladder, which is a pretty minor procedure and can yield huge symptomatic relief.

Best of luck to you, and please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here