Question: Gallbladder removed and now chronic diarrhea

nikkipro - Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:59 am

I had my gallbladder removed in Nov of 2005. Ever since then anything and I mean anything I eat, I get diarrhea. After I eat I only have usually 20 minutes before I have to go to the bathroom. I have loose diarrhea. This happens everyday. Is there anything I can do to help with this? Again, it happens after I eat. I have a max of 20 minutes before I start to get cramping and then I have to go right to the bathroom.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:30 pm

I have heard a few people complain of this reflex type of diarrhea after having had gallbladder surgery. I'm not sure why it happens to a few unlucky people, and I'm not sure what the best way is to deal with it. I suppose, since you're going to continue eating, you might try taking an Immodium tablet about one half hour before eating. This may at least work in the sort term, although you also may be having some sort of allergy or intolerance to some food component (gluten intolerance due to celiac disease?). This latter should be ruled out first, and can be done by a simple blood test. It may be the removal of the gallbladder somehow upset a delicate balance involving tolerance of gluten, which is present in many kinds of foods (and not just wheat).

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 magnolianancy - Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:44 pm

I have had my gallbladder out and when it was taken out, I was deathly sick with diarrhea and my stool was actually green. I went to three gastro. doctors and none of them could help me. I found out that my bile was thick and even though they took out the gallbladder, the bile still was sick. So i researched and found a company called Standard Process. They make some supplements called AF Betafood (that has red beet juice in it). It cleaned my bile and in about two weeks I was able to eat and not have the diarrhea and the color of my stool returned to normal. It took me about 3 years though to find out this answer. I nearly died because I could eat nothing but oatmeal and veggies. The doctors told me they do not treat bile. Is that crazy??? They take your gallbladder out when it is the bile that is the problem.
You can google Standard Process labs and if you need any help finding it, email me at nancy@magnoliahouse.com
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:11 am

User avatar Hi and thanks for your very informative reply. It is puzzling that a distinctive syndrome like this should be ignored simply because there is no standard medical approach. Then again, this is often the way things are learned. I'm just glad you found a solution for yours and are doing so much better now.

|