News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: boy(16) vomitting, diarrehea, pain 26 days

chopkins - Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:34 pm

My healthy, athletic son has vomitted and had diarreha for 26 days. He has had severe cramping with a stabbing pain around his belly button. There is no fever and we have followed the strict diet. They have done 3 blood tests (normal), 3 urine tests (normal), 2 stool tests (culture)(normal). He was given antibiotics 10 days and stopped due to no change. Checked testical area for ruptures. They have give him phenegren (10 days) which helps a little with the vomitting, but he sleeps and can't do anything. Historically a healthy, happy, athletic, very active, smart teenager. He has seen our family doctor 4 times, a gastroenterologist on day 21 (looked at family doctor's blood test, said stop all medicine, and come back in 2 weeks), and been to the emergency room due to the pain. Because all tests have been normal, the advice has been wait and see. He is weak and the abdominal pain is worse.
A worried, puzzled mom
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am glad to see you have had everything checked out so thoroughly. It's true sometimes watchful waiting is all we can do. The human body is so complex and often it heals itself if given time, rest and nutrition. Since they have ruled out the typical causes of such distress, one can only hope the body will do its job. If it gets worse that can also be a way for the problem to surface enough to be identified. Watch for signs of dehydration (I'm sure they have advised on this) and stay in touch with his doctor to be sure he knows your son continues to have symptoms in case he thinks of something else to try. I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions other than comfort measures and hydration. He might try working on some hypnosis or imagery that could help him relax. This sometimes cures the otherwise un-curable.

Best wishes.
 chopkins - Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:49 pm

It is now day 36 with no change in the pain or nausea. The diahrrea has improved, but thrush has developed. On Friday a endoscopic test will be done. Waiting for answers.
An even more concerned mom.
 chopkins - Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:47 pm

It is now day 39. Endoscopic tests show a hiatal hernia, but doctor said this is more a result not a cause for my son's problems. Pain and nausea still constant. When should they try a CAT scan or x-ray?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here