Question: Swlln Adbomen with weight loss

snoopy_301 - Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:34 pm

I am a 43 female and was healthy before I began having these symptoms. I began bloating after eating and losing weight. I have always been petitie and have never been heavy. I have lost 7 pounds in 5 weeks. I have little appetite and seem to fill up quickly after eating a small amount. I had my gall bladder removed last year. During these past 5 weeks,I have had a Ct-Scan of pelvis & abdomen, ultra sond of liver/pancreas, colonoscopy, many blood tests and a couple of chest x-rays and all of these have been nomal. These symptoms have caused me a lot of stress and anxiety and quite honestly, I no longer know if it is my anxiety causing the symptoms or the symptoms causing the anxiety. I am mostly concerned about my abdomen bloating so much and yet my arms and legs seemed to have lost all the weight/muscle tone too. I can't understand why I haven't lost weight all over my body and not just my arms& legs. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:21 pm

The good news would seem to be that you've had a pretty thorough workup and have had most serious things ruled out. The bad news, obviously, is that you're still having the symptoms and they are pretty unpleasant.

While an endoscopy would also seem to be in order, the steps that would normally lead to doing that have pretty well been covered. The only other thing I don't see in your list of tests and exams specifically is a blood test to rule out celiac disease, which also could account for your symptoms. Were you tested for this?

There is also the matter of muscle wasting in the extremities, which is definitely odd, but could be due to the catabolic process which may result from celiac (malabsorption) disease. Celiac disease is caused by an intolerance for gluten, which is a feature of many of the foods we eat (most people assume it is only present in wheat, but it actually occurs in a great many other nutrients as well). I'd like to know if this has been ruled out as the symptoms are not inconsistent with it and it may be the only thing overlooked at this point.

Please follow up with us and include this detail if it was left out initially. Best of luck to you. Stay in touch.

|