Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Concern about Abdominal Pains near Liver

Jerry2032 - Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:35 pm

I'm a 24 year old male and had a reux n y gastric bypass in december of 2007 and have lost 130 pounds as a result of that I had developed a lot of gallstones and had an attack at work and was rushed to hospital where they took my gallbladder out on July 30, 2008. They had also diagnosed me with pancreatitis and hepatitis as a result of the gallstones. It's been 4 weeks since the surgery and I've been having more abdominal pains. They first started out in the upper left part of my abdomin and now hurts in my right and left upper abdomin. Yesterday (09/01/08) I started having sharp shooting pains in my upper right abdomin. I also am having problems eatting too, I can only eat one meal a day because I get really nausious and get pains after eatting. I was eatting fine before my surgery. About a week and half ago my surgeon ordered me a UGI which came back normal and also ordered blood work and a UA. The UA came back good except for my Urobilinogen was elaveted above normal levels and my Liver Function Test came back elaveted. The nurse said something about the normal levels being between .2 and 1.0 and I was at a 2.2. My surgeon ordered a HIDA scan for this friday. But hasn't really said what he thinks might be the problem. Should I have any concern of liver damage at all? Should I go to the ER if the pain continues to get worse ( i'm at 5 on a 1-10 scale) and nausea continues? Any opinions or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:18 pm

According to the information you provided you may have a biliary tract obstruction. Obstruction of the biliary tract (bile duct) results in elevated bilirubin (mainly direct) and increased urobilinogen in urine. Damage to the liver cells will result also in elevated liver enzymes SGPT & SGOT. US of the liver can confirm the diagnosis.

After different types of operations in this part of your body, obstruction of the bile duct may occur due to anatomical changes or as a complication from the operation. Stones in the bile duct may also be a cause of bile duct obstruction.

HIDA is a test used to diagnose obstruction in the biliary passages.
It is concerning that your pain is increasing in intensity.
Relief of the obstruction is essential if it is due to anatomical problem. Infections in the biliary tract present also with abdominal pain, fever and jaundice and should be excluded and treated promptly.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor for proper investigations and treatment.

Please keep us updated.

|