Question: burning pain between shoulder blades

kellfoss - Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:31 pm

I have had a burning throbing pain between shoulder blades for months it feels sometimes like my lungs are burning i went to er for the pain and i felt sick in oct.07 they said it was a flu virus ..i did have a chest xray it was fine . but the pain never stopped.. in the early morning i wake up feeling sick with night sweats on my chest it last about 1/2 hour after i get up it feels like the flu its every morning..i did have shingles in dec.07 the rash was a little higher then this pain.. the walk in clinic i went to last month said the pain was from shingles ..they gave me lyrica ..its not helping i asked if its my gallblader but he felt the area and said i felt no pain when he pushed he didnt think it was that and i wasnt haveing attacks.. what could it be
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is likely to be the cause of this pain.
Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is a nerve pain that persists after a shingles has been treated and the disappearance of the rash.
The pain occurs in and nearby the area that was affected by the shingles which becomes very sensitive and is felt as sharp or stabbing pains that come and go.

It is not clear why some people may have this pain and some believes that it is due to damage and scaring around the nerves affected by the disease or due to anatomical problems in the spine in this part.

In some patients the pain goes away alone and some needs to be on medications.
Hypothyroidism is known to be associated with nerve, muscle and joint problems, so, I would advise you to do thyroid function tests.

Other causes to be excluded are vertebral disc problems, GIT disorders like GERD and gall bladder diseases.

Only by complete history and thorough physical examination the proper diagnosis can be reached.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him your concerns.
Please keep us updated.

|