Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: High AST & ALT Levels

sunshineflorida - Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:34 am

I am a 42 year old female in relatively good physical health, some minor back problems. I had complete blood work done in August 2005 and everything came back good except my AST level was 56 (high) and ALT was 24 (normal). Just recently I had complete blood work done again and my AST level was 90 and ALT was 55. My doctor ordered an ultrasound and more blood work that I had done last week. I have not heard anything yet but was concerned about my results as the technician that did my ultrasound asked the radiology department doctor to look at my pictures to make sure they looked okay for a doctor to interpret. I asked her if there was any problems and she said a doctor would have to let me know in 3 days. What would make my levels continue to rise? and if your liver can repair itself how long does that normally take?

Thank you for any input.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:53 pm

Mild elevations of the liver enzymes are usually discovered during routine blood tests in healthy individuals.

AST and ALT levels may reach twice the upper limits of normal in individuals with fatty liver (obese individuals, diabetic, and alcoholics even mild intake). The lipid profile should be assessed in these individuals.

Many medications result in elevation of liver enzymes, like analgesics, some antacids, hormones, vitamin A and antibiotics.
Viral infection is a common cause of elevated liver enzymes but enzymes are usually very high.

So, levels higher-than-normal do not always indicate liver disease. Elevated AST and or ALT levels should be considered together with complete history and physical examination for proper interpretation.

Isolated mild elevation of liver enzymes is considered abnormality and significant if it continues for six months or if rapid progression occurs. US of the liver is very helpful in the diagnosis.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
 ellxer - Sat May 16, 2009 2:08 pm

hi im 21 years old male and i have the same condition .. the first time i did the test it was almost 6 times higher than normal the second time it was 3 times higher i did every test there is and U.S but every thing was normal i also have high (gamma) thing so i wonder if u could help me

|