Question: Sharp pain below waistline

BH - Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:28 am

I am a 22yo male and from time to time I get severe pain below my waist but above my genitalia. It doesn't seem to be on any particular side and does not spread to my back. I looked through the postings for something similar to what I am experiencing, the closest was this thread. However I don't get light-headed and have never vomitted. I get the pain very irregularly, anywhere from twice in one week to months apart. I have never been able to ascribe it to a certain food, it seems almost independent of what I eat or drink. (Unless it was due to a lack of something, which is harder for me to track.) The pain is always accompanied by loose stool/diarrhea. It seems to me it often has a filmy muccus-like quality, but I'm not authorized to make that judgment. The pain can last several hours and I always feel better after I can pass stool, which is not always right away. I have had this condition for years. I have only been to a doctor once for it when I was much younger, but it wasn't during one of the episodes. He basically said he wasn't sure what it was. Because the pain can be so rare at times and because I don't have much money, I haven't seen another doctor about it since. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:38 am

User avatar Its very difficult to diagnose pain in the nature you described over the internet. One thing that helps a physician reach a diagnosis is the associated symptoms. You have indicated that there seems to be some relationship to the passage of loose stools. This could indicate colonic pain. Is this pain colicky in nature? Have you tried taking antispasmodics to releave it?
 BH - Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:11 am

I guess it very well might be. Are there some over-the-counter drugs I could try?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:42 am

User avatar Unfortunately, I am not authorized to advise you to take a particular medication without a direct, formal examination. It would be unethical, even if this medication is sold over the counter.

|