News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Red patch Upper esophegus

ent - Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:14 am

Hi Doctor,
I am 26 Year old male. I do not smoke but do drink some times.

4 years back i had acute acidity for about 8 months during which i had 2 endoscopies - both clear and doctors suggested it was acidity and should get better with antacids etc. After few more months the acidity settled a bit but i started developing some pain in my neck while swollowing.

After much persistance i had another endoscopy after 4-5 months which revealed a red patch in the upper esophagus. The patch i guess was around 1 CM. My gasteroenterologist took a sample for biopsy which indicated ectopic mucosa and some swelling. My Dr advised me not to worry about it and did not want to get into any other tests or medications. The pain settled on its on in the next 2 months.
But every few months (6-8) i feel some pain/irritation swollowing at the same region. The pain lasts a week or so and then settles down.

I wanted to know what is this patch and what can i do to treat this?

PS: I feel pain/irritation with smaller and sharp food like crisps(chips) and biscuits and not with main food.

Regards

ENT
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:06 pm

User avatar Hello -

Ectopic mucosa is considered fairly common, although it is not a well-recognized condition. It is the appearance of ectopic ("outside" where it is supposed to be) gastric (stomach) mucosa, and is usually present from birth. There's no apparent association between this and cancer, and it is generally a benign condition. These lesions may, on some occasions, have the ability to secrete stomach acid, and so when they are uncomfortable this is probably why. When this happens, generally antacid remedies which work (basically a trial-and-error process) are used to ease any discomfort.

If symptoms become markedly annoying or there is any significant change, it may warrant a second look to make certain it is, in fact, ectopic mucosa, but this description you provide certainly does fit the general profile of this oddity, so is likely just what it appears, and is generally not a concern.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck with this, and please keep us updated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here