Question: GERD and back pain

jocelyn - Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:14 pm

I am a 43 year old female 107 pounds that has been diagnosed with GERD and esophogial spasms I have been treated for 2.5 months with pantoprazole 40 mg. twice a day. The spasm have improved greatly, less frequent and less severe but I have now developed burning or pin prick pain in the middle of my back. Is this something different or part of the GERD?

Any insite you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Jocelyn
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:13 pm

User avatar Hi Jocelyn -

The discomfort in your back is very likely an entirely unrelated issue. It sounds like it may be some sort of nerve irritation. Pay attention to that and see if it resolves or gets worse, and especially note if it becomes tender or painful to the touch, as it could be the beginning of shingles -- again, nothing related to GERD nor the medication you're taking for that.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|