News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Fluttering in lower stomach above pelvis

stefa22 - Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:56 am

Hi,

I asked my regular physician this question awhile ago, and he looked at me as if I were from another planet. In fact, he never even responded. He changed the subject. It is a very strange question, but it's something that's been bugging me, and I'd like to know why it's happening. Anyhow, here goes: In my lower stomach, right above my pelvis, I get a fluttering. It's not always in the same place, sometimes more to the left or more to the right. It doesn't hurt. It actually feels a lot like when I was about 5 months pregnant, and the baby would move, like a little flutter. I'm not pregnant now. That was four years ago. And it kind of feels like my heartbeat, only it's in my lower stomach. What is this?? It's been going on for a little while now, and it's really got me guessing. Could you please respond, even if you don't know, or think I'm crazy (like my doc), I would at least like to know if I should just drop it, forget about it, and hope it goes away, or keep on trying to find an answer. Thank you very much. Your time and consideration are greatly appreciated.

-Stefa
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:50 am

User avatar Dear Stefa,

The fluttering that you are talking about could just be your colon. This is the only structure that could flutter in this region and give this feeling.

Another thing is that if the fluttering coincides exactly with your heart beat, and i mean exactly like your pulse then there are 2 possibilities
1. If you are a very slim person. It is not uncommon for slim persons to feel the pulsations of arteries any where in their bodies and this area is no exception. This could just be an artery in its normal position and you are feeling it.
2. This could be a vascular structure (related to a blood vessel) of some sort and needs to be either watched or removed.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:58 pm

User avatar i just went thro ur symptoms...u don't look like from some other planet :) Ok jokes apart....goin thro ur symptoms,i could think of following possiblities:

let us begin layer by layer:

1) muscles- though twitching in this region is a bit uncommon,it might happen due to irritation of T6-L1 spinal nerves.

2) Intestines-if ur intestinal peristaltic movements are exaggerated,u might experience it.

3) u didnt specify it clearly whether it coincides with ur heartbeat.if no,then above 2 are the possibilities.but if it coincides with ur heartbeat (or say pulse) then it might be some arterial structure.but then it should b static and shouldnt shift from right to left side or otherwise.

u asked what u could do about it !! well if its really bothering u too much then just go for an ultrasound of ur abdomen,just for ur peace of mind.99 % it should be normal..if so..just enjoy and enjoy the fact that u r from this planet only :D
 windjuly1 - Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:37 pm

Dear Stefa,

Though this thread is old. I'm glad it is still open and allows me to post. My son has the sypmtom as you described for a couple of or maybe three years. The doctors did not understand. Of course since he was little, this added another layer of difiiculty to diagnose. The doctors thought he might not describe the sypmtoms correctly. However, when I saw your posting, you knew immediately that my son has the same sypmton as you had. We are still puzzled by this strage sypmtom and looking for the help. This is something we can not ignore since it really bothers him a lot. If you did get some information after this posting, can you share with me. I very much appricate it.

Thanks a lot!
----Jane

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here