Question: Rectal bleeding and slight abdominal discomfort

Killah89107 - Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:12 pm

I am an 18 year old male with no family history of gastrological problems and a relatively clean medical history. I relieved myself today, and I noticed that my stools were abnormally hard and small. I felt a leaking sensation around my rectum, and when I wiped, I noticed a fairly large amount of blood on the toilet tissue and in the water. The stools seemed dark. Just before I relieved myself, I felt a slight discomfort in my lower abdomen.

I have had slight rectal bleeding before, only on the toilet tissue before. The frequency was about once a month for about three months.

I would like to know if this condition requires a doctor's visit or not; as I am on a very tight budget and an unnecessary doctor's visit would be very costly.

Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:05 pm

The combination of rectal bleeding and a change in the shape/size of stool is ominous enough to definitely warrant a visit to the doctor. The possible causes can range from the relatively innocent (and that would be good news) to the fairly serious (which you would need to know early on in order to initiate the appropriate treatment and eliminate or control the problem).

Anything from hemorroids to an intestinal polyp, and any number of other things as well, could be responsible. In any of these cases you'd need to take care of the problem sooner than later. I hope you'll do this, then follow up with us here.

Good luck to you.
 sherrybell - Sun May 31, 2009 4:22 pm

im 37 years old i started having pain in the top part of my abdmen about 2 months ago swelling real bad then i started passin blood almost every day i went to the docter so they say it may be internal hemroids put me on a antibotic still bleeding now now a mucis and blood covers my stool . the other day i felt like i had to poop sit on tolit heard somthing wiped look in tolit. mucis and blood just comes out everyday sometimes instead of poop. this happens usaly more than 1nc a day so i got to looking this up on internet.and found some info Portal hypertension is defined as increased pressure in the portal vein. With the right atrial pressure as a zero reference, normal portal venous pressure is approximately 4-8 mm Hg. The portal vein is formed by the confluence of the splenic and superior mesenteric veins. Its flow rate normally averages about 1-1.2 L/min. The simple phenomenon of increased pressure in this venous circulation unleashes a wide array of hemodynamic and metabolic consequences, including some of the most lethal and distressing complications of chronic liver disease. ok i do have hip c i was postive in my liver that was found 3 years ago they say some times docters misdinose it as hemroids gastrointestinal bleeding, infectious diseases affecting the colon and diseases specifically involving the anus.

|