Question: hernia pain

mlind - Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:44 pm

My husband was diagnosed with a hernia years ago and is now having tenderness - it is located right behind the belly button - my question is should we go to the emergency room or can this wait?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 pm

In tying up loose ends I found this post, so I hope the problem has been resolved by now, but for the sake of other readers here, I will answer anyway: yes, with a known hernia, at least if it was in the location in question, tenderness in the area should be at least subject to a medical exam. If there is any palpable lump, knot or other protrusion it should be seen emergently, as in the area mentioned it could be a protruding loop of small intestine, and this could in short order become strangulated and gangrenous. While this is a fairly rare occurence without other significant symptoms, it is to be avoided. Generally a situation such as described here could wait to be seen by a GP in the office, then referred to surgery if necessary.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to your husband and again, I hope this was resolved a long time ago.

|