News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: excessive burping

akposner - Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:32 pm

I have recently been experiencing an excessive amount of burping. It usually starts after I have eaten something, but can continue on for hours. It is uncomfortable, but more just annoying. I have never had this before in my life, and I have no experienced any diet change. I do have a fair amount of stress in my life at the moment, but at other times of stress I have never experienced this problem. Thanks very much for your help/advice.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:58 pm

User avatar Hello,

Gas and burping are not considered a health problem although they cause many disturbances especially when you are in public.

Gas in the intestine is produced by the act of bacteria on the food while being digested.

Excess gas in the intestine is the primary cause of burping. This may occur due to excess swallowed air during eating, ingestion of certain types of food that elaborate a lot of gases while digested or certain caffeine containing beverages.

Chocolate, milk and alcohol might also cause or aggravate this problem.

If the condition is associated with either or alternating constipation and diarrhoea, then Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS is to be considered especially if your symptoms persists or recur.

Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

Simple changes in the lifestyle, eating light easily digested food and avoiding stress can help in this situation.

Try to notice if certain type of food or beverage increases your symptoms and avoid it. Physical exercise will help improve the GI motility and improve your symptoms too. Constipation should be avoided and managed properly if occurred.

Follow up with your doctor is essential to exclude other causes like infections.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here