Question: excessive burping

akposner - Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:32 pm

I have recently been experiencing an excessive amount of burping. It usually starts after I have eaten something, but can continue on for hours. It is uncomfortable, but more just annoying. I have never had this before in my life, and I have no experienced any diet change. I do have a fair amount of stress in my life at the moment, but at other times of stress I have never experienced this problem. Thanks very much for your help/advice.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:58 pm

Gas and burping are not considered a health problem although they cause many disturbances especially when you are in public.

Gas in the intestine is produced by the act of bacteria on the food while being digested.

Excess gas in the intestine is the primary cause of burping. This may occur due to excess swallowed air during eating, ingestion of certain types of food that elaborate a lot of gases while digested or certain caffeine containing beverages.

Chocolate, milk and alcohol might also cause or aggravate this problem.

If the condition is associated with either or alternating constipation and diarrhoea, then Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS is to be considered especially if your symptoms persists or recur.

Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

Simple changes in the lifestyle, eating light easily digested food and avoiding stress can help in this situation.

Try to notice if certain type of food or beverage increases your symptoms and avoid it. Physical exercise will help improve the GI motility and improve your symptoms too. Constipation should be avoided and managed properly if occurred.

Follow up with your doctor is essential to exclude other causes like infections.

Please keep us updated.

|