News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sharp pain around anus

sonrequest - Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:22 pm

I have recently been experiencing a sharp pain around my anus. After looking on the internet I suspected an anal fissure but there has been no blood in stool. The pain has been on and off for three days so far. It is not unbearable but quite uncomfortable. Defecation is not unusually painful.

I suspect it might be an abscess; could anyone please advice on how I could check if this is indeed the case?

Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:30 pm

User avatar Hello -

While you could certainly have an anal fissure or perhaps an abcess, the latter is less likely than a few other things. For instance, there is a fairly common problem known as proctolagia fugax, which causes intermittent, sometimes quite severe rectal pain, often at night, waking the patient up from sleep. It can also, however, occur during waking hours. There is no clear cause for this, but it resolves on its own as a rule. You also could have a hemorrhoid which hasn't, as yet, begun to bleed (and may not, ever). Fissures usally will at least produce a little blood on toilet paper, and abcesses in this area are fairly rare.

Given the difficulty of visualizing the affected area for one's self, the first suggestion I have would be to see a doctor. If for any reason this isn't possible, warm baths can sometimes ease these symptoms, whether they are caused by a fissure, hemorrhoids, or even proctolagia fugax. (This latter goes away, as a rule, in a few days, but tends to recur, although it can disappear for months or years before flaring up again).

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck. If there's anything further we can do, please don't hesitate to follow up with us here.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here