News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: I Have Trouble Pooping

Jtorres515 - Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:59 am

This has been going on for about a week. I feel like I have to go but then when I get to the toilet nothing comes out. I try really hard and all I can manage to do is pass gas. I've been eating and eating and nothings been coming out. I can feel that I have to go but I just can't. Should I see a doctor or what should I do?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:06 pm

User avatar Hello -

Before you see the doctor, bear in mind that occasional bouts of constipation are normal or at least common and rarely serious. If it has gone beyond five days you may just want to make an appointment anyway, but if this is a chronic problem you could certainly try adding fiber to your diet, either by way of fiber pills such as Metamucil, and/or try eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, especially prunes, peaches and apples.

Let us know how things have evolved since you posted your question, as it has been a while. Hopefully things have corrected themselves by now. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here