News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: intestinal skin shedding?

123zoey - Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:57 am

In the past few months I have been having what seems to be shedding of my intestinal lining. (the matter looks like skin and the process is painful) along with this I also get bouts of diarreah that bring on severe hot flashes and cold sweats. My diet has not changed from what it used to be so I am pretty sure it is not a new food causing this sudden onset. I would like to know what may cause this so that it may be treated. I seem to loose what appears to be skin if i have gas also and this has become embarrasing
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:15 pm

User avatar Hi,
Shedding of "visible" intestinal lining (the mucosa) is almost unheard of( as far as my knowledge goes). Even if the mocosa is shed in bits, it will be most likely transparent or translucent, but not like skin.
Some other possibilities are...
- segments of certain worms (tape worms)
- membranes or pseudo-membranes (Pseudo-membranous enterocolitis)
- undigested food material (ex:vegetable skin)
- Crohn's disease.
Have you consulted a doctor? Please let us know your progress and the final diagnosis.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here