News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: severe chest and stomach pain

jeffomadden - Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:18 pm

I`m 44 years old and in great shape. every 4-5 weeks I get severe pain in my chest and stomach area, really painful and it last about 12- 36 hours. I have been to the ER twice and both times they have tested me for a heart attack even though I have told them my heart is fine. My GI doc has given me an endoscopy and a colonoscopy as well as a complete ct scan of my mid section. the ct scan was not done durring one of these epesodes. all test came back negative and nothing seems to be wrong. this past sunday I had the longest and most painful epesode yet. it felt like my heart was gonna blow up but i did`nt go to the hospital because of the fact that they would give me the same tests as before. I called my doc today but got his voice mail. I askes him if it could be pancreaitus or something like that. all the pain is on the left side and it will radiate through to my back near the shoulder blade and also on the side under my armpit. I have like 4 weeks before the next epesode, hope you can help
thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:11 pm

User avatar Hello --

Since you've had an endoscopy that was negative this rules out the first most obvious thing, periodic gastritis, and leave the next possibility, pancreatitis, wanting to be ruled out as well. Since this could be dependent on common duct spasm or blockage, accounting for the periodic episodes.

This is my best guess as of right now. I'd ask that pancreatitis be ruled out, prefereably during an episode. Please follow up with us as needed. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here